MWC 2019 was the place where every brand showed its foldable phones. Even the brands like TCL, Energizer, whose name was not in the league, were also there showing theirs. But also all those, Huawei Mate X can be considered the best and the most practical foldable phone.
The main thing which actually makes it a foldable ‘phone’ is actually when it is folded. It forms a regular screen aspect ratio of 19.5:9, which we have seen in the phones with notches. I think it is one of the important things for a foldable phone to feel like an actual phone, in the normal scenario. And the Mate X check that box.
You won’t feel like you are using some weird box with a screen. It will have a familiar form and familiar visual factor. One more thing that makes the Huawei mate X are the bezels when folded. In the Royole Flex Pai, when it is folded, it had bezels on the 3 sides and a screen continuity on one side. This in a way was weird for a normal phone. As the Huawei Mate X also folded outwards, it was to have a similar issue.
But Huawei Mate X has put that OLED display to good use. It has created a virtual bezel which is of the same thickness as all the other 3 sides. OLED screen produces the inky black colors, thus giving an all-around thin bezel look, which just adds to the aesthetic and it looks symmetrical.
Also when folded, it doesn’t leave any loop space like that in the Flex Pai and somewhat like the Samsung Galaxy Fold. This is also great. When opened, it is a sleek 5.4 mm thin body except for a small part on the edge that houses the camera. Also when opened, it will also serve as a handle to hold the tablet. And when folded it is again a sleek build (for a foldable phone) of 11 mm thickness.
Also but as I mentioned in another foldable phone article, as this is folded outwards and has the screen all around, it does pose the insecurity of the safety of the screen. We won’t be able to get any screen guards for the display either. That the only thing Samsung Galaxy Fold has the advantage of.
Samsung Galaxy Fold, I would say is more of a foldable ‘tablet’ than a foldable ‘phone’. It does have a good screen when opened but when closed, it just has a small screen that cannot be a main display of a phone. It can be used as a secondary display of the whole device. That is why I feel, Huawei Mate X is a much better Foldable Phone than the Samsung Galaxy Fold.
Oppo also showcased a similar product. Oppo’s Foldable phone and Huawei Mate X are quite similar in case of design. But when folded the screen aspect ratio and the bezels all around are better on the Mate X.
At last, let me tell you the specifications of the Huawei mate X.
- When opened it has an 8-inch 8:7.1 display with a resolution of 2480 x 2200 pixels and when folded it forms a dual screen. The front is the 6.6 inches 19.5:9 display with a resolution of 2480 x 1148 pixels and the second one is 6.38-inch 25:9 2480 x 892 pixels.
- The chip is the Huawei’s in-house Kirin 980 SoC. It is also 5G, which has been made possible by the Balong 5000 5G Modem.
- Mate X has a 8GB + 512 GB memory configuration. It has a dual SIM card configuration but also supports Huawei NM storage card up to 256 GB.
- Mate X triple cameras which are developed in partnership with Leica – 40 MP (Wide Angle Lens) + 16 MP (Ultra Wide Angle Lens) + 8 MP (Telephoto)
- The phone does not have a headphone jack
- Mate X has a 4,500 mAh which is split into two parts and supports 55 W fast charging
- The phone runs on Android 9.0 Pie with the EMUI 9.1.1 on the top
- The phone is priced at $2600 which is ₹1,84,691 and is available in only one color that is Interstellar Blue
- It has all the sensors and all the other bells and whistles that a flagship phone should have.
So that is what I think. DO let me know in the comments if you agree or disagree with me. Let;s have some conversation.
Credits of all the photos and videos in this blog post are given to GSMArena.
I am mad about gadgets especially smartphones. I like to help people deciding their phone. I love talking about gadgets and also share whatever I know about them.